Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Details, Major Details


The Source
by James Michener

This was yet another of the books that I read in preparation for my Israel trip (yes, I am aware that I am hideously behind on my blogging). The Source is a bit of a slog, but I ended up being really glad to have read it. It is the story of an archaeological tell, but so much more than that. Michener introduces us to the present day characters (well, sort of present day - the book was published in 1964), and a few artifacts that they find on a dig in Israel a short distance north of Jerusalem. Then, he takes us to the bottom of the tell and works us up through the 15 strata that the team has uncovered. He tells the story about the fictional town (Makor) at the time of each layer, and helps us see the way things developed in the cultural, religious, and intellectual evolution of the town and its inhabitants.

Michener must have employed a small army of researchers, because his historical novels are rich with minute detail. I randomly fact-checked a few things on the Internet, just to see how much the historical research could be trusted, and was pleased to find that he is amazingly accurate. The Source is not only a good read for the history to be found there, but also a reminder that there have been times in history when Jews, Muslims, and Christians lived together peacefully, and there is reason to hope that it could happen again. Likewise, all three groups have been capable of outrageous brutality to one another at some point in history, and have no room to be self righteous when dealing with the other. Humanity's treatment of those who are different, as well as their horrific creativity in finding ways to hurt and kill each other, never fail to astound and sadden.

The Source is based on the real tell of Megiddo, which we visited on our pilgrimage. Michener is very explicit about the conception and engineering of an elaborate water system that enabled the residents of Makor to have access to water from a well outside the city walls even when the city was under siege. At Megiddo, we got to see the real thing, and even walk to the bottom of the water tunnel. That was an amazing experience, and as I walked those steps I silently thanked James Michener and his team for bringing the site to life before I ever set foot in Israel.

Reverent Reader

11 Comments:

At 5/30/13, 6:35 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heya this is kind of of off topic but I was wanting to know if
blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually code with HTML.
I'm starting a blog soon but have no coding know-how so I wanted to get guidance from someone with experience. Any help would be enormously appreciated!

my page; hair straightener

 
At 5/31/13, 5:53 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way cool! Some extremely valid points! I appreciate you penning this
article and also the rest of the website is very good.

Here is my web-site ... forex Trading

 
At 5/31/13, 6:34 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are in fact wonderful ideas in concerning blogging.
You have touched some good points here. Any way keep up wrinting.


My web-site; Forex Steam Review

 
At 5/31/13, 6:57 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will right away seize your rss as I can't to find your email subscription link or e-newsletter service. Do you've any?

Please let me recognize so that I could subscribe.

Thanks.

My web blog: hair wax

 
At 6/1/13, 1:38 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not sure where you're getting your information, however great topic. I must spend some time learning much more or figuring out more. Thank you for great info I used to be looking for this information for my mission.

my webpage Http://Www.Selbsthilfe-Freizeitwerk.De

 
At 6/1/13, 4:56 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to say that I have truly enjoyed browsing your blog posts.
After all I will be subscribing to your feed and I hope you
write again very soon!

Check out my web blog; vps hosting free

 
At 6/1/13, 5:52 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do consider all the concepts you've presented in your post. They are very convincing and will definitely work. Nonetheless, the posts are too short for newbies. May just you please extend them a little from next time? Thank you for the post.

Look at my webpage - vps account

 
At 6/10/13, 4:02 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Currently it sounds like Expression Engine is the preferred blogging platform available right
now. (from what I've read) Is that what you're using on your blog?


My web site - Reseller Webhosting

 
At 6/13/13, 1:50 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's the best time to make some plans for the future and it's
time to be happy. I've read this post and if I could I desire to suggest you some interesting things or advice. Perhaps you could write next articles referring to this article. I wish to read more things about it!

Feel free to surf to my website - hair split

 
At 6/14/13, 5:10 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the helpful info you provide in your articles. I will bookmark your weblog and check again
here regularly. I'm quite sure I'll learn many new stuff
right here! Best of luck for the next!

Also visit my homepage metatrader binary options []

 
At 6/17/13, 3:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there! Someone in my Myspace group shared this site
with us so I came to look it over. I'm definitely enjoying the information. I'm bookmarking and
will be tweeting this to my followers! Outstanding blog and superb design
and style.

Feel free to surf to my blog post: learn forex live scam reviews ()

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home