Sunday, December 28, 2008

Ahhhh, Christmas!


Sorry, friends, that I have been remiss in postings lately. This always happens during the holiday season. I have one more 2008 book to post about, then the year-end wrap-up will be coming. Tune in for the top five fiction, top five non-fiction, best theology, biggest dud, and much more!

On December 23 (terrible timing, don't know what I was thinking) I started the biggest reading challenge of my life thus far - War and Peace. It took me a few days to get momentum going, but now am really into it. It's going to take awhile to get through, and I may even do more than one posting about it since there is clearly going to be lots to think about.

One of my favorite things about Christmas is the opportunity it affords to acquire several new books at once. There is something so satisfying about seeing a whole stack of bright, shiny books waiting for me to crack them open. It's not as transforming as Jesus' birth, of course, but still a lot of fun. My family and friends know that the surest way to please me is books, so they always come through with some I am familiar with as well as some unexpected ones. Here is my list of new acquisitions:

Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln by Doris Kearns Goodwin
What Happened at Vatican II by John O'Malley
Payback: Debt and the Shadow Side of Wealth by Margaret Atwood
I Was Told There'd Be Cake by Sloane Crosley
I See You Everywhere by Julia Glass
The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb
On Moral Fiction by John Gardner
Amish Grace: How Forgiveness Transcended Tragedy by Kraybill, Nolt, and Weaver-Zercher
Classics for Pleasure by Michael Dirda

Nice mix, huh? Can hardly wait to dive in.

Happy Holidays and Joyous New Year to you all. Happy Reading! Let me know anything you are reading (especially unexpected holiday surprises) that I should not miss.

Reverent Reader

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home