Thursday, October 16, 2008

Haiku Fun


Zen Ties
by John J. Muth

This book is one that both my boys really like - I highly recommend it as well as John Muth's previous children's book Zen Shorts. Both books feature the same main characters - the giant panda Stillwater and his three young (human) friends Michael, Addy, and another little boy whose name escapes me at the moment (surely you will forgive this lapse of memory, as I am sleep deprived). Zen Ties has the added character of Stillwater's young panda nephew, Koo. Koo speaks in Haiku, although Muth is pretty liberal with the syllable rules as I understand them for that type of poem.

Zen Ties is a particular favorite of G's (my two-year-old), who has picked up what our pediatrician this morning called "the bug of the week." It is brutal - fever, sore throat, and vomiting. In sympathy for him, I composed the following haiku to describe what our night together was like:

Spooned protectively
Around a feverish toddler
Whoosh! River of puke

(strip, soap, redress, repeat)

Reverent Reader

3 Comments:

At 10/16/08, 6:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is hilarious. Erin

 
At 10/16/08, 6:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is hilarious.

Shouldn't it be 'round a feverish toddler, to comply with the 5/7/5 rule?

Erin

 
At 10/16/08, 6:27 PM , Blogger Reverent Reader said...

I was making "feverish" two syllables, which I think is OK with a certain amount of poetic license.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home