Wednesday, April 23, 2008

In Memoriam


Dorothy Toner McClung

This is normally a blog about what I am reading, but I feel compelled today to pay tribute to someone who helped me see the place of reading and writing in having a full life that is intellectually and spiritually vibrant.

I learned last night that Dorothy McClung died a few days ago at her home of complications from Alzheimer's disease. She was 86 years old. Thirty-three years ago she was my second grade teacher. Many teachers, from elementary school through graduate school, have had a major impact on me, but Mrs. McClung was the first. She gave me ideas for books to read, and recommended the first chapter books that I tried. She nudged me to read "Little House on the Prairie," and after that I was off and running. She also encouraged me to write my own stories and put my thoughts into words. I still remember the special little book that she made for me - it had that paper in it that has lines on the bottom half and is blank on the top half so you can draw pictures to accompany your story. I felt like she believed I could write something really important.

As is often the case in small towns, Mrs. McClung continued to be a presence in our lives. She and her husband lived across the alley from us until we moved a few miles away when my sister and I were 12. Mrs. McClung brought chicken salad the day our parents brought our baby brother home from the hospital. She and her husband bought numerous raffle tickets, magazine subscriptions, and candy bars and all the other crazy stuff that school kids sell to make money for their various activities. Even when I was in high school, she would send me a note once in awhile saying she was proud of me. She kept on teaching me long after that 1974-75 school year was over.

Mrs. McClung was a gifted artist in her own right - a wonderful drawer and painter - but I will remember her primarily as a teacher. She did what every teacher should do - treated me like I was an intelligent person whose ideas mattered. There is no way to even guess how many people she influenced, but I know of one for sure.

Rest in peace, Mrs. McClung. You made a difference. I know that God has welcomed you and said "Well done, good and faithful servant."

Reverent Reader

5 Comments:

At 4/23/08, 1:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm crying already. You should send this to Dan.

Erin

 
At 5/10/16, 10:14 PM , Blogger ninest123 said...

air jordan pas cher, michael kors, oakley sunglasses, ugg boots, longchamp outlet, louboutin pas cher, longchamp pas cher, air max, ray ban sunglasses, cheap oakley sunglasses, nike air max, louis vuitton outlet, nike roshe run, sac longchamp, burberry, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, nike air max, nike free, polo ralph lauren outlet, tory burch outlet, nike outlet, chanel handbags, ray ban sunglasses, replica watches, louboutin, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, christian louboutin outlet, replica watches, oakley sunglasses, louboutin shoes, nike free, tiffany and co, prada handbags, uggs on sale, longchamp, longchamp outlet, prada outlet, tiffany jewelry, ugg boots, polo ralph lauren outlet, oakley sunglasses, gucci outlet, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton, louboutin outlet, ralph lauren pas cher, kate spade outlet, jordan shoes

 
At 5/10/16, 10:32 PM , Blogger ninest123 said...

michael kors outlet, michael kors, burberry outlet online, abercrombie and fitch, replica handbags, tn pas cher, michael kors outlet, michael kors, oakley pas cher, lacoste pas cher, new balance pas cher, kate spade handbags, nike free run uk, hogan, sac guess, coach outlet, nike air max, ralph lauren uk, michael kors, hermes, true religion jeans, coach purses, nike roshe, ugg boots, nike air max, vans pas cher, michael kors outlet, lululemon, nike air max, true religion jeans, north face, coach outlet, north face, vanessa bruno, true religion outlet, ray ban uk, air force, michael kors, mulberry, nike blazer, burberry, timberland, hollister, ray ban pas cher, true religion jeans, hollister pas cher, converse pas cher, michael kors outlet, ugg boots, michael kors outlet

 
At 5/10/16, 10:37 PM , Blogger ninest123 said...

north face outlet, nike air max, hollister, oakley, p90x workout, longchamp, ghd, hollister, north face outlet, asics running shoes, louboutin, nike huarache, converse, baseball bats, celine handbags, new balance, vans, vans shoes, ferragamo shoes, iphone cases, soccer jerseys, herve leger, reebok shoes, insanity workout, nike air max, nfl jerseys, lululemon, mcm handbags, converse outlet, hollister, gucci, timberland boots, birkin bag, valentino shoes, babyliss, ralph lauren, ray ban, nike roshe, wedding dresses, jimmy choo shoes, instyler, bottega veneta, beats by dre, chi flat iron, giuseppe zanotti, nike trainers, soccer shoes, mac cosmetics, mont blanc, abercrombie and fitch

 
At 5/10/16, 10:49 PM , Blogger ninest123 said...

pandora jewelry, wedding dresses, supra shoes, hollister, canada goose outlet, moncler, moncler outlet, canada goose, moncler, montre pas cher, swarovski, canada goose outlet, louis vuitton, moncler, pandora charms, moncler, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, doudoune canada goose, pandora jewelry, canada goose, canada goose, louis vuitton, replica watches, karen millen, ugg boots uk, canada goose, ugg pas cher, louis vuitton, coach outlet, thomas sabo, barbour, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, marc jacobs, links of london, moncler, louis vuitton, bottes ugg, barbour jackets, sac louis vuitton pas cher, moncler, pandora charms, swarovski crystal, canada goose uk, moncler, juicy couture outlet, juicy couture outlet

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home