Sunday, December 2, 2007

Bizarre Dream


Mockingbird: A Portrait of Harper Lee
by Charles J. Shields

I read this book over a year ago and really enjoyed it. To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my favorite books and movies, so I think Harper Lee is really interesting. Her friendship with Truman Capote, and the fact that To Kill a Mockingbird is her only major work, are factors that have made Harper an enigmatic figure. She did not grant Shields an interview for this biography, but he did talk with several of her family members and close friends. It was a good read, although at the time I did not find it earth-shattering or especially moving. I do think, though, that we have Harper Lee and other artists like her to thank for some of the unconscious movement of the human spirit that prepared the way for the Civil Rights movement in our country.

Nevertheless, I do not sit around for hours at a time thinking about Harper Lee. But now I am wondering . . .maybe it had something to do with the fact that my four-year-old son S. was invited to three birthday parties this weekend (we had to decline two of them because they were scheduled for Sunday morning and just were not in the time budget). Anyway, night before last I dreamed I was taking S. to a birthday party, and the theme of the party was not Cars, not fire engines, not superheroes, but . . .HARPER LEE. A Harper Lee Birthday party. Am I losing it? Does this make me a certifiable book nerd?

The really weird part is that in the dream it did not seem at all strange for a four year old boy to be having a Harper Lee party. I remember being bummed because she had made a special appearance (she is known for being camera shy and fiercely private) and we were late and had missed it.

Gotta go order my Harper Lee cups, plates, and napkins for my birthday party in February. I'll let you know if I can find a Boo Radley cake. (I crack myself up.)

Grace and peace,

Reverent Reader

1 Comments:

At 12/2/07, 4:13 PM , Anonymous PAM said...

What a riot! Wouldn't it be fun if we REALLY could have our birthday party themed around a favorite book??? What would the CROSSING TO SAFETY cups and plates look like? Or the cake!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home