Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Bag of Doritos


The Partly Cloudy Patriot
by Sarah Vowell

Some family members told me about Sarah Vowell, and I'm so glad. She is hi-larious, even though her genre is hard to pin down. She is a history buff who travels to battlefields and other famous sites to celebrate birthdays and other special occasions. She is also an astute observer of our culture and a patriot who believes in dissent and disagreement (hence the title of her book). Interesting facts about Sarah Vowell: 1) She is originally from Oklahoma, although she now lives in New York City, 2) She is a twin (fraternal, unlike my sis and me, but still, lots in common), and 3) she was the voice of Violet in the animated movie The Incredibles.

This is a quick and fun read. It's a collection of essays about American history, political figures (current and past), and riffs on some of our most interesting cultural quirks. She is a die-hard Democrat, but makes fun of everybody (although in a way that is somehow not mean spirited, probably because she makes fun of herself most of all). Sarah Vowell is like the atheist Anne Lamott - funny, self-deprecating, occasionally thought-provoking, and with the periodic stunningly beautiful sentence.

Having said that, reading this book is like scarfing a bag of Doritos. It is tasty and goes down really fast, but in the end, nutritionally speaking, you don't have a whole lot to show for it. But, ya know, once in awhile a bag of Doritos hits the spot. Vowell has written a couple of other books, and am sure that I will read them eventually. Interspersed with a healthy dose of vegetables, of course.

Reverent Reader

2 Comments:

At 11/28/07, 6:36 PM , Blogger TET said...

Woo-hoo! I LOVE Sarah Vowell! I'm psyched you read this book. I'm not sure that I would categorize her as a "bag of doritos". I would put her closer to the mallomar category. slight more heathful!
In any case, all those of you out there in radio (or blog) land, this is a must read!

 
At 11/28/07, 7:18 PM , Blogger Reverent Reader said...

TET - duh, it was at your apartment that I first noticed Sarah Vowell and got the lowdown on her from you and SSF. I'm looking forward to "Take the Cannoli" and "Assassination Vacation," both of which I got when we went to The Strand. And do you REALLY think Mallomars are more healthy than Doritos? In any case they are both sinfully delicious!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home